By Daruba Farouk | National News
At least 24 people have been killed and several others injured after gunmen attacked Binper community in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.
The attack reportedly occurred between Monday night and the early hours of Tuesday, with residents saying the assailants moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and attacking people who were asleep.
An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said more than 24 deaths had been confirmed as of Tuesday morning, while several others sustained serious injuries and some residents remained missing.
Another resident, John Dalyop, described the incident as devastating and called on the government to strengthen security around vulnerable communities in Mangu and other parts of Plateau State.
The Mwaghavul Youth Movement also confirmed the attack, putting the death toll at 24. The group said several residents were injured, while houses were allegedly burnt and farmlands destroyed.
In a statement by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Sunday, the group expressed grief and anger over the killings, saying the incident had further threatened the livelihoods of residents who depend largely on farming.
Meanwhile, women from Bin-Per community staged a peaceful protest on Tuesday to condemn the killings. The protesters, who carried leaves as they marched, called for urgent government action to protect residents from further attacks.
The 24 victims were subsequently given a mass burial, while injured survivors continued to receive treatment in hospitals.
Speaking during the burial, President of the Mwaghavul Youth Movement, Kyesmang Jonathan, said 24 victims had so far been buried and condemned the continued attacks on innocent residents.
The Plateau State chapter of the African Democratic Congress also condemned the attack. The party’s state secretary, Jude Dakur, described the killings as barbaric and unacceptable, particularly because many of the victims were attacked while sleeping in their homes.
Reacting to the incident, Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang directed security agencies to intensify surveillance and patrols in Mangu and other vulnerable areas.
In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, the governor condemned the attack, describing it as a disturbing development capable of undermining the peace being consolidated across the state.
The attack has also attracted international attention, with United States Congressman Riley Moore urging the US State Department not to remove Nigeria from its Country of Particular Concern designation.
Reacting to reports of the Plateau killings, Moore said the situation in parts of the Middle Belt remained a cause for concern and argued that the CPC designation should not be lifted.
Nigeria was first designated a Country of Particular Concern by the US State Department in December 2020 over concerns about religious freedom. The designation was removed by the Biden administration in November 2021.










