Gunfire Erupts in Osogbo as Hoodlums Attack Adeleke’s Convoy

By Happy Bayo | National News

Gunfire erupted in Osogbo, Osun State, on Wednesday when suspected hoodlums attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The incident, which triggered panic among residents and traders in the area, reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes as the governor’s security personnel exchanged gunfire with the attackers.

Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after receiving his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) following his re-election.

Sources said the governor met with the monarch and presented his Certificate of Return before the situation turned violent as the meeting was coming to an end.

According to an eyewitness, the governor had already left the palace hall and entered his vehicle when heavy gunshots were heard.

The attackers were said to have arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo before opening fire around the palace.

Another witness, a trader identified as Munirat, said the attackers damaged the palace’s main gate and exchanged gunfire with security personnel before retreating.

She added that the attackers later engaged the governor’s security team again near the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

The development caused panic as traders and residents reportedly abandoned their shops and businesses and ran to safety.

Confirming the incident, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said the attackers were hoodlums and that the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled them.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.

As of about 4:45 p.m., sporadic gunshots were still reportedly being heard in parts of the area, while several business owners had hurriedly shut their shops.

The attack comes shortly after Adeleke secured re-election in the Osun State governorship election and received his Certificate of Return from INEC.

Security authorities are expected to investigate the incident and identify those responsible for the attack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may like